Matt handles personal injury cases with Provost Umphrey Law Firm in Beaumont. He has handled a wide range of matters including industrial explosion accidents; automobile accidents; wrongful death; maritime and offshore accidents, railroad crossing accidents, aviation accidents; environmental contamination; chemical exposure; Federal Employers’ Liability Act; Fair Labor Standards Act-Overtime Wage claims; Deceptive Trade Practices, Bad Faith Insurance Claims and mass/class actions.
Matt, a Texas native, has represented clients in Louisiana, New Mexico, Alabama, Florida, California, New York and Washington, D.C. as well as several more states across the U.S.
Currently, Matt serves as lead counsel in the NFL Concussion Litigation on behalf of Provost Umphrey.
Board certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Matheny is admitted to practice law in Texas and Pennsylvania; and before the U.S. Court of Appeal, 5th Circuit Court; the U.S. Court of Federal Claims; and the U.S. District Courts – Eastern, Northern and Southern District of Texas; and Western District of Michigan.
A Texas Rising Star, an honor given to the state’s top up-and-coming attorneys by Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers, Matheny shares the title with no more than 2.5 percent of lawyers in the state. Matheny has been named a Rising Star in 2010, 2012-2015.
As a Texas Super Lawyer, an honor given to the state’s top attorneys by Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers, Matt shares this title with no more than 2.5 percent of lawyers in the state. Matt has been named a Rising Star in 2010, 2012-2015 and was then recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer from 2015 to present. Beginning in 2015, Matt has continued to earn recognition in the Best Lawyers in America listing every year. He has also earned top honors as a Best Lawyers in America “Lawyer of the Year” in 2018 and 2023.
Matheny has also received the AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards.
In 2015, Mr. Matheny was honored as the Baylor Law School Young Lawyer of the Year.
He graduated from the Baylor University School of Law in Waco, Texas and received his undergraduate degree in History from Rhodes College in Memphis Tennessee.
Matheny has volunteered with student mock trial and teen court programs, orphaned and abused children’s groups, nature conservancy organizations, and actively supports civic activities in southeast Texas and Lamar University.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Federal Employers Liability Act (FELA)
- Maritime and Offshore Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Railroad Crossing Accidents
- Aviation Accidents
- Environmental Contamination
- Automobile Accidents
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)-Overtime Wage Claims
- Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA) and Bad Faith Insurance Claims
- Industrial Explosions/Accidents
- Chemical Exposures
- Class Action/Mass Litigation
- Mediation – Click here to view the mediation fee schedule
- Board Certified: Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Texas, 2003
- Pennsylvania, 2009
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Baylor University School of Law, Waco, Texas
- Doctor of Jurisprudence – 2003
Rhodes College, Memphis, Tennessee
- Bachelor of Arts – 2000
- Major: History
University of Texas School of Law, Center for Public Policy Dispute Resolution Center Mediator Training, 2016
Honors and Awards
- Lawdragon’s 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers – Plaintiffs in personal injury claims, 2022
- Lawyer of the Year, Mass Tort and Class Action Litigation, The Best Lawyers in America®, US News, 2023
- Southeast Texas Lawyer of the Year, Mass Tort and Class Action Litigation, The Best Lawyers in America®, US News, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America®, US News, 2015 – 2023
- 2015 Baylor Young Lawyer of the Year
- Texas Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters Business: 2015 – 2021
- Texas Rising Stars, a Thomson Reuters Business: 2010, 2012 – 2015
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers, 2013 – Present
- Houston’s Top Lawyers, Personal Injury, H Texas Magazine, 2013 – 2015
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Member, National Association of Distinguished Counsel, 2015
- Top 40 Under 40, Beaumont Enterprise, 2014
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 Under 40, 2014
- America’s Most Honored Professionals, The American Registry, 2014
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- Fellow, State Bar of Texas
- Jefferson County Bar Association
- Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit
- The American Association for Justice
- Texas Trial Lawyer’s Association
- Texas Trial Lawyer’s Association Board of Directors, 2013 – 2016
- Texas Trial Lawyers Advocates Board of Directors, 2009 – 2012
- Southeast Texas Trial Lawyers, Secretary/Treasurer, 2007 – 2010
Matheny served as the coach for the Kelly High School Mock Trial Team for five years. He has served as the President of the Beaumont Area Ducks Unlimited Committee and served as a volunteer judge for the Evelyn Lord Teen Court Program.
Matheny has lectured to area students in connection with the Constitution Day educational effort. He has given Continuing Legal Education lectures for the Jefferson County Bar Association, The State Bar of Texas, Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Texas Alliance of Paralegal Associations and Continuing Medical Education lectures for the Alzheimer’s Association. Matheny has been a guest lecturer for Lamar University and the Texas Lyceum.
On weekends in the fall, Matheny has served as a guide in the Texas Hill Country for Operation Orphan, a nonprofit organization that provides outdoor activities to orphaned and abused children. He is an active participant in Southeast Texas civic events and charities including Calder Baptist Church, Some Other Place, the Shorkey Center, The Neches River Festival, The Julie Rogers Gift of Life Program and played the role of Santa Claus at the Junior League Beaumont’s Main Street Market. Matheny has lectured at the Lamar University’s College of Nursing and is active supporter of Lamar University athletics and is a member of the Cardinal Club. Matheny currently sits on the board of directors for Beaumont Mainstreet.
- Matthew Matheny and Bryan Blevins won a $16 million verdict against CenterPoint Energy for the injuries sustained by an IBEW 66 member after he fell 50 feet to the ground from an electrical pole. Read more about it here.
- James E. Payne and Matthew Matheny obtained the largest wrongful death settlement for an individual against a defendant in South Carolina History. Read more about it here.
- Matt obtained a $2.75 million on-the-job commercial vehicle accident that resulted in the death of an individual
- Matt obtained a $1.6 million settlement for former football player in the firm’s ongoing NFL concussion litigation
- Matt obtained a 7-figure settlement for an on the job commercial vehicle accident